Feeling Of ‘I’.




Caution: Dear Readers! Please read if you really want to read my nonsensical (bakwaas) thoughts; otherwise please leave it and wait for another post.....


One of the most intriguing questions that make me to think is how I feel it’s my body. I can feel my legs, hands, eyes; in short, every parts of my body. I can think and even watch what I am thinking. One can witness oneself as a third person, standing in the corner of the room. From where, this feeling comes. Is it my mind or is it governed by my soul?
People, who believe in the existence of soul, no doubt, would say this feeling to be governed by soul. More or less, in every religion the concept of soul is accepted. Hinduism believes the soul as an immortal element that changes itself from old body to a new body; every living thing has a definite soul and the ultimate goal of soul is salvation.
“Living things”? How can one discriminate between living thing and non living things are itself a puzzling question? Some centuries ago, trees were not understood as living beings. And today, they are. If we read apocryphal stories like Mahabharata and Ramayana, even the inanimate (Sun, Moon and stars etc) things (which is considered by Science today) are depicted as living things. (Sun, Moon and stars etc). Science is progressive and still trying to reveal the hidden secrets. And it might be possible that we would hear the new definition of ‘Living Things’. Human body is made of billions of cells. Scientist says every cell is living thing as it can grow, reproduce etc. So if we conclude according to science and Hinduism, we had better say that our body consists million of souls. If not, tell me what would you say these cells, bacteria, virus; living or non-living?
 If we follow the concept of soul then it seems logical to assume that number of total soul would be fixed at a certain moment. It is somewhat like the law which says total energy of the universe is constant. So souls change it cloths (as Gita explains) and wear new. But if we observe current increasing population that simply implies that more and more souls are placing themselves in the new body. So from where these souls are coming. Is this increase in human beings being compensated by decrease in the population of other species? I do not think so. What I find, population is increasing in every species and so is soul which itself contradicts the constancy in the number of souls.
Before drawing any conclusion, I asked this question to my younger brother who is currently doing M.B.B.S. What he told me was purely scientific, more suited for doctors to understand. He explained that in our brain there is limbic system which is responsible for making one to feel about his body.
But the next question that I put forward was,” Medical is doing so many miracles as today it is possible to changes one heart, kidney, eyes , would it be possible in future to change one’s brain.”
He said,” Might be.”
Well, then it would not be a way to immortality. Only we would have to find a body and then a Doctor who could transplant our brain to the body. We would get the feeling of “I’, so a new life.
 But intuitively I feel it is not possible, is it?
It is amazing to know that we, who might have soul or mind or both of them, are made of inanimate things, like amino acid and other complex chemical compounds.
Our cells divide (mitosis and meiosis) and hence form new cells. This is the way we grow or any living thing grows. But at every division the size of something(size of chromosomes) get reduced. This reduction leads to oldness. It is quite amazing that at one side something is growing where at other something is reducing too. Hope!  in future Scientist would control this reduction and hence our age.
Specific hormones are responsible for specific actions and again your actions are responsible for secretion of certain hormones. What an amazing cycle this is! Cause and effect are so amazingly interrelated.  


I don’t know how I should conclude this post. So, please excuse me. It is just what came in my mind in random fashion. Thanks a lot for bearing me. Hope, your comments would make it somewhat conclusive.


Comments

The mystery of our soul is quite as mysterious then the concept of life itself.......
For many generations our ancestors have been trying to figure out exactly what u have been askin bot in vain :(


Let everythin unravel itself as time goes by & who knows ur concept of soul could be the key for all of our life's riddles :)


keep blogging :)
cheers!!!!
Durga Nandan said…
You are doing "Random Thoughts". :P :D

Coming to your post,
Yuck. I would hate to be in any other body. Other than mine, how much ever immortality they promise. I think that kind of body change will let you lose your identity as such. Cos the new body mannerisms would not change just cos u r inside.

And there is a small mistake in the post. It is mitosis and meiosis.

Cheerz!
DN
@ Sathish...
Thanks a lot....:)
These are just my thoughts who were buzzing in my mind...
I donot know, to what extent, they are correct but I love to think over such things.....

Thanks again for reading this post.... :)

Cheers!!
@ Durga Nandan...
Thanks a lot.... :)

U r true... but whenever I see people living their life without hands and legs, suffering from uncurable diseases; for them it might be a better option to transplant their mind into a healthy body......
Thanks again for reading the post.... :)
U found an error..it just reflects u read it completely...:)

Cheers!!
Anonymous said…
Hey, visit my blog http://rahulsharmaspeaks.blogspot.com/
there is something waiting for you :)
Hope you like it:)
I will definitely read your blog after some time..
Anonymous said…
mind and body a very subjective topic indeed.. I sometimes feel that souls are nothing but some human infestations to prove himself that he is real and we are nothing but some assortment of carbon compounds that 'live' according to some physical laws...

I think I need a separate post for it!!
Vishnu said…
the immortality thing is a sci-fi concept known as mind uploading.. to create an exact replica of the human body is a herculean task.. even if we succeed in that.. the synchronisation of the body with the brain is another obstacle.. bhai aapko toh yeh sab pata hoga..
nice random post btw..
Sugandha Gupta said…
My Art of Living lesson for today :)
Good Morning :)
@ R S V..
Thanks a lot...
Scientifically, we can deny the existence of soul...
But Science is still progressing and making a conclusion based on science would not be correct....
However, Religiously we can believe.....and I do...:)

Cheers!!
@ Vishnu...
Thanks a lot.... :)
You are true...synchronization of body with mind seems impossible..
But If our mind is capable to synchronized artificial hand, legs or even transplanted kidneys , heart, eyes...then there is some light in which we can expect the reverse to be true..... :)
Who knows, in future, it might possible....

Cheers!!
@http://whysoserioustoday.blogspot.com

Thanks a lot...
:)
Glad that u read it....

Cheers!!
Bharathi said…
excellent post. Even I had this doubt of how population kept on increasing when the energy is constant. But later on I convinced my self saying that just because we dont understand the language and feeling of certain items (stones, sands etc) we cant call them as non living things. We dont know the statistics of such things. Besides the animal population keeps on decreasing. We dont speak much about the concept of non active energy which may be the cause of sudden explotion.
But later on I reduced my interest towards those topics and started concentrating on how I can be happy inspite of all the undesirable situations.
That is what my mission now :-)
Thanks a lot Bharathi.... :)

Glad that you liked it.. :)

Cheers!!
Roshmi Sinha said…
A nice read...

Here is a shloka:

Nainam chindanti shastrani, nainam dahati pavakaha

Na chainam kledayantyapo na shoshayati marutaha...


It is from the Bhagavad Gita... and means:

I am the spirit/soul... atman... any weapon, elements of life or any danger cannot destroy me... I am eternal... energetic...

Lord Sri Krishna describes (to Arjuna) the human soul as something that cannot be cut by weapons, can’t be burnt by fire, can’t be drowned in water, can’t be dried by the wind...

Just as a man casts off his worn out/old clothes and puts on new ones, similarly... the embodied self casts off its worn out bodies and enters into others which are new. Weapons cleave It not, fire burns It not, water wets It not, wind dries It not. This self cannot be cut, not burnt, nor get wet, nor dried up. It is eternal, all-prevading, stable, immovable and ancient. This [self] is said to be unmanifested, unthinkable and unchangeable. Therefore, knowing This to be such you should not grieve.

Popular Posts