A Real Incident

On 16th, I was coming from Kanpur to Varanasi. I got in chaurachauri-express and was impatiently waiting for train to move. As the train moved I moved to the upper birth. I was somehow trying to counteract the clamoring and rustling of surrounding by soft music of my I-Pod. Everything was going well. I could hear the continuous chattering of two girls, political debate of some aged people and a heated discussion between some future doctors ( including my younger brother) and a policeman, on a very popular topic, 'Increasing immorality in younger generation'. As soon as, train reached Allahabad, a mob of thirty to forty guys, aged in between 20 to 30, got in the train like a storm. The atmosphere filled with slang and vulgar words. They started running from one end to other, inspecting every nook and corner of compartment to find a perfect place where they could able to do what they wanted. Unfortunately, just beside me, two of them got the suitable place as just in front of them, a girl was sleeping. They started speaking in their own dialect that appeared so filthy due to their slang and vulgar words. People, around me, were hearing but ignoring probably, because of their number.


Suddenly, one of them asked the girl to give her book, she was reading. She refused. Then, they said rudely," why?” She did not respond. Then they started speaking in broken English with each other in a way to tease her. She covered her face and pretended to be slept. After some time, one of them went to some other place.


Then something started pinching my heart. "Can I only write articles on Eve Teasing or can I do something too?" I began to think the possible solutions and obviously, the first solution came to my mind was to warn them and despite it, they were not following, gave a hard punch on their mouth. In any way I was stronger than two. Well, I am 6 feet tall and have been a regular Gym- freak for 2 years. But soon I realized I am not Bollywood hero and needed some different solution. To be honest, I was afraid, not by two, but by all. So, I followed a different technique.


I asked one of them in a friendly way," Where are you from?"
He replied, “Bairiya."
(I really did not have any idea about this place)
"Oh, it's great place. Many of my friends are from there. Where are you returning from?"
He told me that they were returning from Allahabad where they went yesterday for participating in the selection process of C.R.P.F(Cental Reserve Police Force). But some of them could not pass, even the physical test. Then he started blowing his trumpet. His uncle is this; his brother is that…I hardly listening to him but surely pretending that he was heard. After so many big deeds and good thing, he told about his family, I at once asked," you are from such a good family and from such a good place too. Then, why are you staining the name of your family and place by doing such mean things. Don’t you feel, one day, it might happen to your sister or your mother?"


He grinned with a filthy smile. I hated his disgusting smile.
But, somehow I felt that my technique worked. It is good to increase the people's level at such a standard in their own eyes so that they would start feeling humiliation to do such mean things, at least in front of you. This was exactly what I did.


But everything got ruined as his friend reappeared. He addressed him in such vulgar language that it was unbearable for my ears to hear. I warned to be in limits as this was a train where many civilized people were travelling.
He said, "Kaha jaa rahe hai Aap"
I did not want to answer, however I replied, “Varanasi."
I was amazed why the girl was bearing all this. Why was she not hitting a tight slap on their filthy face? At least, she could share her problem to the people, around her. And definitely, it would have more impact on people than mine.
But, whatever was reason, I have decided that if they tried to cross a threshold limit, I would talk to people around me and I was confident that they would protest by hearing their scornful deeds.
I was bemused if she wanted to tolerate all this and did not want to make hue and cry or really, she wanted to get rid of them.
There are people who think, it would be better to be blind and deaf, like an ostrich hiding his head in sand, than to face. And even, if you try to actuate, you are tearing their stiff cover from their face which could be more painful than to hear all this nonsense.


It might be the prayer of girl to God or just a coincidence, T.T. appeared and when he checked their tickets; all were without tickets. He forced them to get out from the train. With a tumultuous struggle, they got out from the train, restoring civilized and peaceful ambiance. But despite all this, one of them finally threatened the T.T.," you are not doing right by letting me out of the train. You don't know who I am?."


I get puzzled, whenever I think, how these filthy pigs develop so much courage to sit in reserved compartment without tickets; to tease one; to threaten one, without caring that they can be beaten; can be jailed. 




Everything got over but left me with many questions. Can such people defend our country? Are such people worthy to be police? Surely not, it is not physical fitness but mental fitness (character, morality and ethics) is more required to be a responsible police; otherwise cases like rape, bribe, and corruption would be continued for ever.
        
I cannot even consider them animal. I have no word to abuse them.
If I did name disgust, hatred, aversion, abhorrence in one word, surely I would.


Comments

Shruti said…
Hey amit! Very true!
I had very similar experience recently!
You kindled my interest to write one on that incident!

P.S:Read my story?
http://xperiences-in-life.blogspot.com/2009/09/everlasting-love.html
Anonymous said…
I assure you Amit, the country is in safe hands as long as people like you are there..and I mean it....
and the lady did not act the way she should have....I feel it is their meekness and silence that gives unusual strength to those filthy basters.... one should stand against any kind of injustice to them...especially when there is full boggie of people to help them!!
divsi said…
There are people who think, it would be better to be blind and deaf, like an ostrich hiding his head in sand, than to face. And even, if you try to actuate, you are tearing their stiff cover from their face which could be more painful than to hear all this nonsense.



these words are really touchin!
kudos to u amit!!

n yeah if i was in the place of the gal..a hard punch wud hav surely landed on their smug faces!
Paritosh said…
A nice post about the state of things in our country. I just can't understand why the women don't stand up for themselves.

Maybe it is because all through their lives they have been taught to adhere to the false sense of morality attched by the society.
Ekam said…
I agree with you completely.
Sometimes being silent by the girls in such incidents is the most silly thing to do.
Bharathi said…
thank god these people werent selected.

I would say you did the right thing speaking to them though it didnt work.
@Shruti...
Thanks a lot.. :)
I have already read ur story and have commented too.... :)
Cheers!!
@ RSV..
Thanks a lot.. :)
"I feel it is their meekness and silence that gives unusual strength to those filthy basters"
You are pretty correct.. :)

Cheers!!
@ Divsi...
Thanks a lot...
Glad that u like it... :)

"if i was in the place of the gal..a hard punch wud hav surely landed on their smug faces!"

Really, I appreciate your courage .....
This is the best way to deal with such social bastards....:)
Keep it on...:)

Cheers!!
@ PAritosh...

Thanks a lot.. :)
Glad that u liked it..
Welcome to my blog...
Cheers!!
BK Chowla, said…
The problem is that these kids are completely spoilt.It also may be true that they were related to some or the other neta.It reflects less on them and more on their parents and the external support they get.
You can not change them because our laws are outdated and so is the implementation.
@ Ekam..
Thanks a lot.. :)
You are pretty correct.... :)

Cheers!!
Durga Nandan said…
With 40 people in a gang, it would be unwise to attempt slapping. May be talking back wont be bad.. But imagine if they all got offended and got up against you? Physically hurt the gal?
Well, you keep saying the others would join you if you stood up against them. That is just the ideal situation. They may or may not join you. Even if irritated.

Many a gal, "jumped" out of the train cos she reacted. It is safer for a lonely gal [though in a full compartment] to ignore them. It is wiser. The other families may turn a blind eye to her when she is in trouble cos they themselves are worried of their safety.

I have tried both.
Safer to just raise your voice than slap. Slap can offend the guy and he might react and that might result into something incorrigibly wrong.

Cheerz!
And kudos to your thoughts! :)And the way you dealt with it. :)
That was manly. :)
Durga.
@ Bharathi..

Thanks a lot.. :)

Cheers!!
hey these are the perfect canditates for civil services man coz of their attitude.....
Our democracy is ruled by mostly these kind of rogue elements..
If things need to change in our country then the first place that needs to be cleaned up is the rogue elements in our bureaucracy ....
Anonymous said…
In our day to day life we come across so much of this stuff but seldom do people react. I think the main reason is they are all thinking " its not my problem". I appreciate your concern and am sure your talking to this guy must have put some sense in him for sure. Regards
Yayaver said…
I don't know what I would have done. I have moral strength to stand against them. Still, I am little coward against these type of youth mob but surely I should have used some wit to outsmart them. What you did was a heroic attempt to put some sense in them. Bravo ...
@Chowla Ji.. U r quite correct... :) Really our Laws are impotent to deal such situations. However, I feel, we at our individual level, should try our best to counter those bastards. Usually very few people are such types, and they contaminate whole society.
@ Durga Nandan...
Thanks a lot... :)
U r true that we should act , not in haste but with intelligence. We usually read such incidents, happening in country which concludes either the death of Gal or the person who tries to save her.
They are courageous because they are in group, with a common goal that is to tease girls. But morally they are Weak people and if 10 person stood against them, they would flee away.
But people, inside the train are woven in their own business and never care for others. But I feel 90% of people are good; Just one has to make them realize that this could happen to their family too.......

Cheers!!
Shruti said…
hey u read my last 55fiction..
i wrote a shrt story :)
see that!
@ Sathish...

Thanks a lot.. :)

U r true...These are the people who have contaminated the whole system.....

Cheers!!
Indian Pundit said…
Hey Amit

Hats off to you brother.

It is good to increase the people's level at such a standard in their own eyes so that they would start feeling humiliation to do such mean things, at least in front of you.

Perfect trick to protect that girl at that point of time.

You are really a man about whom India can be proud of.

Cheers
@ Sunshine..
You are true..
A feeling of empathy is inevitable to counter such situations...

thanks a lot..
Cheers!!
@ Yayaver..
Thanks a lot.... :)

To be Honest I was afraid too...
Only option, I found ,was to talk them in friendly way...... Though it did not work
Nevertheless I felt a satisfaction for what I did...
@ Shruti..

I have read both ur post and have commented too...

Cheers!!
@ IP..

Thanks a lot.... :)

it's really great to hear such words from you... :)

Cheers!!!
Shruti said…
aahhhh!!!
Am confused like anythin!!

Huh!!
i din't tell about 55Fiction!
I wrote a shrt story amit!!

http://xperiences-in-life.blogspot.com/2009/09/everlasting-love.html
Vishnu said…
ur suggestion for a change in the police selection criteria was nice.. care to elaborate on tht??
@ Vishnu

Thanks a lot... :)

Plz go through thr link, provided by Yayaver..
They are really worth reading..
Hope, u would like it...:)

cheers!!
@Yayaver...

Thanks a lot for providing links...

Really they are great to read...
- Sugar Cube - said…
At least you had the urge to fight them.And if not fights..you tried distracting them! That was a smart handling.

Such ppl must be burnt alive.
As for the girl who did not protest or complaint..well you know when a girl travels alone..she cannot quite take up a challenge to argue with two nasty dirty morons who also have a huge herd with them.It all sounds nice & cool to be brave ..but its always better to act when you are sure of your surroundings.A girl cannot rely on strangers for helping her out.
Thanks a lot Sugar Cube.. :)
yaa.. u r quite right :)

Cheers!!
Anonymous said…
Hey Amit!!

I am proud of you man!!

shilpa
Thanks a lot Shilpa.. :)

Cheers!!
prathap said…
no words............awesome........

Popular Posts